Thursday, January 24, 2013

How I Lost 45 Pounds In 4 Months




Before & After Picture:

       Start Date/Goal Date:                
September 23rd, 2012    /   January 24th, 2013
(4 months)

Start Weight/Goal Weight:       
197.2   /   152.0
(45.2 Pounds Lost)

Start Pant/Dress Size/Goal Pant/Dress Size: 
16    /   (8-10)

Start Shirt Size/ Goal Shirt Size: 
XXL   /   M





My Story (because everyone has a story):


Some days I thought it would never come.  Not necessarily the weight loss, but the freedom from food.  It honestly is a daily struggle.  Some days are great, and others, not so great.  But I've persevered.  I've worked hard at it.  I've sought to keep first things first >>>> (GOD).  

Many people have asked me what is different about this program, The Grace & Strength Lifestyle.  Honestly, so many things!  The accountability.  Having a rock star of a personal coach that has walked this journey and succeeded.  Having women that I can call, text, private facebook message me and say, "you got this, I believe in you!"

I've tried to think back on my life and evaluate at what point I turned to food for comfort.  That was the first step, using food as a drug.  Then it became an addiction, one that only comes with shoving more food into my face to get the same high.  I can't pinpoint one specific day or year this downward spiral took place, I just know it did.  Isn't that like most of us who are overweight? It is a slow progression over time until one day we hit our own rock bottom and don't quite know how to crawl out of such a pit!  We don't like who we see in the mirror; I didn't like the me in the mirror.  Not so much because of the pounds or love handles, because there are many many big and beautiful women out there!  I didn't like the me that couldn't control my food addiction.  I felt trapped and in bondage.  I've tried Weight Watchers.  I've tried the South Beach/Atkins diet.  I've tried counting calories.  I've tried Slim Fast.  I've tried so many other things!  The day I started this program I had hope, but there were still those nagging lies in the back of my head saying, you are just going to fail again, Traci!

The Grace & Strength Lifestyle taught me how to discipline myself when it comes to food.  I realize now that I do have a choice as to what I put in my mouth.  I may not have control over any other thing in my life, but I do have control over making healthy choices!  I can have freedom over food addiction.  I do (man that feels great to say)! I've come to see that healthy food is a beautiful gift from the Lord, not a burden or a cruel joke or a substitute for that chocolate cake and cheesy chips! 

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to eat healthy for life!  Will I still have my occasional sweets?  Sure I will!  But with the Lord's help, it won't send me spiraling off into the sugary abis!  I spent a good majority the other day creating a HEALTHY BOARD on pinterest.  You can check it out.  I am passionate about whole and healthy foods now.  You know, the stuff you can actually read on the label and not all that processed garbage!

I want to inspire my children to love the art of healthy food choices and exercise.  I want them to grow up, not turning to food for comfort because they see their mommy making healthy choices!  

The bonus of this journey?  It has not only brought me freedom in the area of food, but in ALL AREAS OF LIFE y'all!  Yes, I break out in my wanna be southern drawl when I get excited about something!  I've found freedom from perfectionism.  I've found freedom from my crazy control issues.  I've found freedom from my people pleasing tendencies.  I've found freedom to just be the woman God created ME to be in Him.  Now that's something to celebrate!




I started this journey weighing in at 197 lbs!  I'm now a healthy 152 lbs!  Why post my weight?  Isn't it embarrassing?  Yes.  But I am posting it so you all know that sometimes the scale doesn't always say what you see.  I have so many people tell me that they would have never guessed I weighed that much!  I'm 5 feet 6 1/2 inches and everyone carries their weight differently.  It's really not about number, but about feeling comfortable in your own skin!

Why does weight loss inspire people so much?  What is it that makes people say, WOW!?  It's because we all struggle with discipline issues don't we?  No matter if it is striving to lose weight, or paying off debt, or getting our life and home organized, we are all looking for people who have walked the journey and said, "this is how I did it."  WE ALL LIKE HAVING HOPE!  I hope I give YOU HOPE!

How'd I do it?  Lots and lots of water.  Healthy, lean protein.  Fruits and veggies!  Accountability and support!  Writing down everything that goes in my mouth!

Some quotes that inspire me:

You can't live a positive life with a negative mind.
Be positive, patient, and persistent.
The prettiest thing you can wear is a smile.
What you do today can improve all your tomorrows.
Act like the person you want to become.
Wake up with determination.  Go to bed with satisfaction.
Punch fear in the face.
You are NOT hungry you are bored.  Drink some water, and learn the difference. 
A year from not you'd wish you'd started today!
I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
Don't let comparison steal your joy.
Some people dream of success while others wake up and work hard at it!
The 3 C's of life: Choices, chances, changes.  You must make a choice to take a chance or your life will never change!

Verses that encourage me:

Hebrews 12:11 "For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it."

1 Corinthians 6:12 "All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful."

Matthew 4:4 "But He answered and said, it is written, man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength[a] of my heart and my portion forever."

Psalm 34:8 "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!"

To find out more about The Grace & Strength Lifestyle Program, click here and fill out the contact form and someone will call you and discuss the details.  Thanks for following my journey!  Please share this post if it inspires you!

I also HIGHLY recommend Lysa Terkeurst's book MADE TO CRAVE!  Totally a LIFE CHANGING book!



Previous Posts (Grace & Strength):
1) An Honest Update On My Weight Loss Journey
2) I Lost 30 Pounds In 8 Weeks!
3) Week 3/4
4) Day 20 Weight Loss Reveal
5) My Second Week On G&S
6) I Lost 10 Pounds This Week
7) 22 Pairs Of Pants Waiting For Me To Wear (*update: they are all TOO BIG now!)




48 comments :

  1. Millicent6:58 AM

    so excited for you!!!!!!! You look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS!!! So awesome!! And I loved how you said its not about a number but by being comfortable in your own skin!!!AMEN!!! Being the woman God created you to be in Him... Love!!! Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traci, thanks so much for sharing your story. It really encourages me that this type of transformation is possible. I've been struggling since I had my first baby three months ago. I've managed to lose 25 pounds, but have about 10 pounds more to go until I hit my pre-pregnancy weight, and 20 until my ultimate goal weight. I've hit a plateau in recent weeks, and have been really discouraged. This has really inspired me. Thanks again Traci!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is possible! If I can do it, so can you! :-)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, Traci! What a great reward for seeking the King as you have journeyed this path to a healthier life. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! You are so sweet!

      Delete
  5. You are awesome, sweet friend - I remember talking about this with you 2 years ago and how we both struggled with the same things. I can't wait to start my journey with G&S, and am thankful for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember that! Just keep in mind, that it will be a continual stripping away process... God will do more in you than you could have even hoped for as you seek HIM first and don't give up!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful!!! Praise God for freedom!!

    ps. I love the new look on your blog...I might need some design help. Hmm... maybe a birthday present from my hubby?! :)

    pps. I still really want to meet you, neighbor!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I'd love to meet you too! Let's chat! I'd also love to give your blog a makeover!

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing - I'm still trying to get out of my pit that I ended up in from comfort eating and eating for my babies! So I am going to print out your encouragements to help me :) Well done on losing that weight, you look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda... there is HOPE!

      Delete
  8. My sweet first born...I am so very pleased with your success! You are an amazing girl and I love seeing how God has helped you through this journey. You have blessed my heart by your wise and honest words. I love how your inside glows and is really "in tune" to others even more now. God has blessed you beyond measure and I am so thankful for your new found freedom. It is so refreshing and glorious and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mommy! That means so much!

      Delete
  9. Traci, I could not be happier for you!! I love what you said about not worrying about the pounds, but braving your addiction. Wow. That's huge. Sending encouragement to stay strong and keep living healthy! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so thankful I met you at Allume. You are a blessing in my life!

      Delete
  10. I am do proud of you and happy for you! You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Traci! You've always been beautiful, inside and out! When you feel free from the oppressions that have held you back, God can truly use you to help others through their struggles. I so appreciate you for putting yourself out there as an example to so many that may now find their own freedom through your journey. God bless you, Honey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, dear friend! You are an inspiration to me and I am thankful that God placed you in my life. Celebrating with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All praise to Him!

      Delete
  13. INCREDIBLE!! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU !!!!! :-) EEEEKKKK!!!

      Delete
  14. Even though I think you looked great "before," you can definitely see a new glow and life in you now! You are gorgeous!! Congratulations on your accomplishment! All Glory is His!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That is a lovely compliment! Yes, all glory to His name!

      Delete
  15. You go girl!!!! I know the amount isn't the same, but I lost 12lbs in 3 months and noticed SUCH a difference in how I felt! When I ate well, I felt better, not just physically but mentally and emotionally.

    Good for you!!!! You look amazing!!!! Are those skinny jeans in your pic? I thought I'd never fit into a pair of those but after losing even just 10lbs, I was surprised at how they fit! (I'm a short 5'2 so 10lbs in two key areas made a big difference LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job Christin! You are so right! Yes, those be skinny jeans! Who would have thought? NOT ME! :-)

      Delete
  16. Congrats Traci! You look amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yowza!!!! Congrats!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So awesome!!!!! You look fantastic! P.S. Your mom's comment made me cry! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet Ashleigh! It made me cry too!

      Delete
  19. You are such an inspiration - anyone can do this! Thank you for being honest with your numbers and giving others hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the support KalynBrooke! I love your name!

      Delete
  20. Congratulations Traci.. You look amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, wow, wow!!!! Way to go, Traci! I am so proud of you and happy for you! You are an inspiration!
    Love you,
    Janet
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats again Traci. I am so happy for you. We have very similar builds. I am 5'7" and felt great at 158, size 10 and medium tops. I lost weight and now have gained it all back and need to start again but can't seem to stay with it. I know exactly what to do, just need to do it!
    Stay with what you are doing, you've worked hard for it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job Traci! You look so beautiful and healthy! I'm really proud of all the work you've put into reaching goal. It is truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats Traci!
    You look amazing but I bet even better is that you feel amazing!
    I'm going to check out both resources you named.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You amaze me Traci! You look amazing inside and out and I am so proud of your transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You go! Keep it up and thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Traci, what can I say but, YOU did it!!.Woohoo!!
    Congratulations by becoming ALL that God's called you to be!!
    So very proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations Traci!! What an inspiration you are to so many women!! I am thankful to be connected with your journey!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is awesome!!!! Congrats! I lost 116 afte haveinf 2 kids a year apart! I am now 9 mobhs preggo again with #3 So I'll have some more weight to loose after this:) thanks for coming by my blog! I'm following you on twitter:) xoxox have a great day!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate your friendship! If you can't comment, try commenting as anonymous or you can email me at curly2880 at yahoo dot com.